New Case Suggestions

Come on in and shoot the virtual breeze...
(If you can't see the other forum sections, register and/or sign in!) :]

New Case Suggestions

Postby -7-Slappy on Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:33 pm

My case, as anybody who has seen it can attest to, is fugly. However, after about 45 minutes on Newegg, I've come to only one conclusion - I have no freakin' clue where to start shopping for a new case! :evil: So, help me out here.

What are your preferences?
- Fans vs. Water Cooled
- How much Power? Bundled or buy seperate?
- Side window(s)?
- Case material matter? (Lighter for LANs I'm guessing)

Anything else I'm forgetting, fill in the blanks. In a perfect world, I'd like to build a whole new rig for the next gen of games hitting this year so I'll likely go digging into all the parts too.
-7-Slappy
gAMER gOD
gAMER gOD

CASE

Postby Merlin on Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:17 pm

I love my Lian LI Aluminum case it's well built and has plenty of FANs 5 for the case alone plus 1 in the power supply. speaking of P/S go with an ANTEC 400 to 550 Watt Can't go wrong.
Merlin
Chronic gAMER
Chronic gAMER

Postby Kloked1 on Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:21 am

ALWAYS buy a seprate PSU unless you get something crazy like a thermaltake xazer which already comes with a kickin PSU. As for windows and so forth, that is really up to the user, I like windows and flashy stuff (if you have seen my decepticon case at the lans you'd understand) but for instance Murphy like his cases plain so he went with an understated black case that houses a powerhouse. as for watercooling, well you have to be brave, I still haven't mistered the cajones for that one. As for the material yeah aliminum is lighter and give a very small margin of cooling but is not very stong. Personally I prefer steel since it gets banged around a bit traveling to lans.
ImageImage
"Hijacking threads for 3 years and counting"
Kloked1
American (photo)chopper
American (photo)chopper

Re: New Case Suggestions

Postby Atomics on Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:35 am

-7-Slappy wrote:My case, as anybody who has seen it can attest to, is fugly. However, after about 45 minutes on Newegg, I've come to only one conclusion - I have no freakin' clue where to start shopping for a new case! :evil: So, help me out here.

What are your preferences?
- Fans vs. Water Cooled
- How much Power? Bundled or buy seperate?
- Side window(s)?
- Case material matter? (Lighter for LANs I'm guessing)

Anything else I'm forgetting, fill in the blanks. In a perfect world, I'd like to build a whole new rig for the next gen of games hitting this year so I'll likely go digging into all the parts too.

Well good place for a nice selection of cases, atleast to see what is out there, is over at Xoxide.com. From there you can usually hunt down the case you want at a cheaper price then Xoxide carries it. For cooling, stick with fans. You really don't need to spend 300$+ on a water-cooled system unless you are looking at top of the line parts and extreme overclocking. There are plenty of quiet fans out there if you are worried about noise. For the PSU, if you can find a nice case thats comes with a reliable 400-500w PSU that great or just buy them seperate, really doesn't matter. Either way you'll most likely still pay about the same. Windows are just fashion, if you are going to be decking out your case with lots like lights and accessories then get a window, if not you don't really need one. As for material overall most cases aren't that heavy escpecially if are getting a mini or mid tower.
"It came to me in vision, or maybe it was a drunken haze, or possibly an ice cream headache.."
Atomics
Senior gAMER
Senior gAMER

Postby -7-Slappy on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:58 pm

Cool! Thx for the links & suggestions, I'll be sure to post when I get my act together & decide on something. New toys - w00t!!! :D
-7-Slappy
gAMER gOD
gAMER gOD

Postby NoOther on Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:08 am

Another great PC Mod site is http://www.CrazyPC.com
NoOther
Sir Turtles-a-lot
Sir Turtles-a-lot

Postby -7-Slappy on Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:00 pm

Update:

Case is on order, went with this Thermaltake, now al I need is the rest of the rig to put in it! :D
-7-Slappy
gAMER gOD
gAMER gOD

Return to General Lounge